Sunday, December 20, 2015

My Favorite Things: Gifted

The gift of a great view in flight

I was working the beverage cart and while pouring a drink for children to my right, the gold pin on the jacket lapel to my left caught my attention. I commented on how nice it was after realizing it was the NASA logo. The man was going to Houston so I asked if that is where he worked. It was. I mentioned that I just moved from the Bay Area, so I met people going to the Ames Exploration Center often. At the end of the flight, he called me over and presented to me 2 very nice NASA stickers. I was impressed.

Just before Thanksgiving, I met a woman in first class who had a solar dancing turkey and after doing a dance for her in the aisle, she gifted it to me. I acted like she was trying to give me hundred dollars and not a dollar store item.

I have in my collection a United States flag pin given to me by a very nice veteran of WW2. The interesting thing about this man was that he was again a passenger of mine a month later. I was so glad I was wearing the pin he gave me, as he took notice.

Flight attendants are often gifted with things. Mostly, it's chocolate or some other candy. Occasionally it's coffee and even more rare are items like donuts or on one flight, a passenger brought for the crew 2 boxes of savory empenadas from Lima.

Penguin gets a gift
Many years ago, just before Christmas, a passenger on my flight worked for a candle maker and he gifted everyone, including the pilots, small scented candles.

Living in my bag for nearly ten years is a gift card to Starbucks. I never go to Starbucks; I don't enjoy the aroma in them and I'm never been interested in their products enough to stand in line. One day, I'll have to use it for some tea or a scone. Even though it's not been used in many years, I greatly appreciated the thought.

We love our little gifts, but honestly, I'm not one to easily accept gifts from strangers, which is odd being that I went to Burning Man for seven years; a temporary society that exists on a gifting economy. And I do love to give! I used to give gifts for the whole family every year at Christmas, cousin's included. If I ever win that damned lottery they keep shaking in front of my face, I'll be giving things away all the time! Rare would be the dinner tab not picked up by me!

But gifts don't always have to be something tangible. Some of the best gifts I receive on a regular basis are the compliments. When a passenger stops before walking off the plane and thanks me for such great service, or compliments the crew in the back, or admires my announcements, shakes my hand, smiles and tells me that was one of the better flights they've been on, it sends me to the moon! About the best gift I can receive is a note to my supervisor about the great service you received.



Inside the Houston Intercontinental terminal
Giving is so much fun and I do enjoy receiving little gifts and treats while I'm working. Giving is a great way to get noticed and ensure that the crew stops by to say hi and sees if there is anything you may need during the flight. Whether for the holidays, a ploy to be recognized by crew, or just a simple way of saying that you understand us, flight crews love receiving little gifts from passengers. It's my favorite!

(PS; And if you insist, I'd love a new Mercedes in silver!)

No comments:

Post a Comment